Kyun, Kyun, Watashi no kare wa, Pilot-o!

I've been having my own Macross Flashback lately. Last week, I saw the movie "Macross: Do You Remember, Love?". It's now up there on my favorite movies list after watching it for the nth time. For me, it's the ultimate space opera, a love story incredibly woven around explosive space battles and the survival of the human race. Released way back in 1984, the production was certainly top-notch, even considered ahead of its time.

To continue my little Macross "revival", I got to listen to one of Mari Iijima's special project CD's,
"Mari Iijima Sings Lynn Minmay". Ms. Iijima is the voice actress behind Lynn Minmay and also happens to be her singing voice as well. Seven tracks make up the CD with six of them being re-arranged, updated versions of popular Lynn Minmay songs "Angel's Paints", "Love Goes Away", "Zero-G Love", "Cinderella", "My Boyfriend's A Pilot", "Do You Remember, Love?", and a new, non-Macross song "Why".

The re-arranged songs were done when Ms. Iijima migrated to the U.S. Among the songs, I must say that my favorites, despite my lack of knowledge of any Japanese, would be "Angel's Paints" and the sentimental "Do You Remember, Love?". "Angel's Paint's", from "Macross Flashback 2012", is a delight to listen to. It's light, breezy and sweet just like Minmay. It was a surprise when I got to hear "Do You Remember, Love?". I was treated to a piano-only arrangement which sounded quite more sincere and soulful than the original version.

This album's gonna be in my MP3 player for a while...

Comments

Bebert! Thanks for linking me up.

Saturdays for me were never the same again when I saw Macross for the first time. Sa channel 9 pa yun. And then the toys were released. Only 1 store carried these really expensive stuff. I used to spend time at their display window gawking at the huge boxes! They had Macross, Transformers, and Orgruss Orgroids.

I have a couple of these toys (from eBay) and SkyFire too.
Bebert said…
Hey Nick!

Yep, them toys were really expensive. I too used to hang out at Nova Fontana and that other store in front of it oogling at them boxes. Was able to get the smaller (read: cheapest) versions of the Macross, VF-1J Valkyrie, Orguss Orgroid and Gerwalk Nikick and some Machine Robo's.

I think the only Transformers I had were the Dia-Clone ones. :D
Marvin said…
Hi Bebert, kumusta na? I remember that song "Kyun, kyun..." I haven't seen Macross or any new anime in a while now (I saw the first arc of Bleach though, and I went through Trigun, Bebop, Evangelion, AMG/OMG, etc. years back.). I've heard of "Do You Remember Love?" in an anime magazine a long time ago but thought it might be too cheesy but now I'll have to check it out some time. Tc. :)
Bebert said…
Hey Marvs! I'm okay naman. The Macross Movie and TV series was probably what got me interested in anime.:D

As for any "new" series, I've gotta admit that I don't keep up with what otaku folks watch these days. Lately, I've seen Diebuster (the sequel to 1986's Gunbuster), Macross Zero, and Gundam 8th MS Team.

Shameless Plug: Look for the manga Hellsing in your friendly bookstore and check out the credits... (don't forget to buy! haha!)

Popular posts from this blog

Drama-rama sa Hapon!